Includes import documentation and other requirements for both the U.S. exporter and foreign importer.

Exporting to Finland is subject not only to Finnish but also EU legislation. The EU’s Union Customs Code (Regulation (EU) No 952/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 October 2013 laying down the Union Customs Code) aims to complete the shift by Customs to a paperless and fully electronic and interoperable environment. The Union Customs Code came into force on May 1, 2016. The transition period for Authorized Economic Operators (AEO) is until May 1, 2019.
Certain items such as alcoholic beverages, foodstuffs, pharmaceuticals, firearms and other articles that could pose a potential threat to health, welfare, or spread animal and plant diseases are subject to restrictions. These import/export items need to meet special requirements and certifications set by the EU or Finnish standards. The Tarif Intégré de la Communauté (TARIC) database is available to help determine if a license is required for a product.

It is the responsibility of the importer or the authorized agent to declare imported goods to Finnish Customs. This can be done through the Single Administrative Document (SAD). The SAD form is an import declaration form for all EU Member States. More information on the SAD form can be found at the European Commission , Taxation and Customs Union.

The following documents should be presented for imports into Finland:
• A customs declaration form endorsed by the National Board of Customs in Finland
• A valuation declaration for imports exceeding the value of EUR 5,045.64 ($5752.03 in 2019)
• A copy of the commercial invoice

For further information, please visit Finnish Customs.
For further information, please visit the Union Customs Code.


Prepared by our U.S. Embassies abroad. With its network of 108 offices across the United States and in more than 75 countries, the U.S. Commercial Service of the U.S. Department of Commerce utilizes its global presence and international marketing expertise to help U.S. companies sell their products and services worldwide. Locate the U.S. Commercial Service trade specialist in the U.S. nearest you by visiting